Thursday, May 29, 2008

Clean My City On Flickr...


I found some cool photos in the Clean My City Flickr Group the other day and it sparked my interest enough to email the flickr member and ask her if she would mind sharing with us what she does to help our environment.

Here is a photo and below is what she had to say.
a new spill

Theskywatcher

"I'm an environmental scientist, more specifically a hydro-geologist. I monitor groundwater and soil quality by taking samples, analyzing them, and write reports for the department of environmental conservation. My consultant company works only with gas stations, or sites that were previously gas stations. We're specifically looking for contaminants that are traceable to gasoline in the groundwater and soil.

These contaminants get into the ground via cracks in the gas tanks or pump piping and are deemed 'spills', and can be in the water and soil for years. We monitor most 'active spill' sites on a quarterly bases, as most of them show decreasing levels over time. Though if there's a problem at a site, with increasing levels, we are frequently there assessing clean-up and installing systems to help alleviate the contamination in the ground. for this, we work with environmental drillers to install monitoring wells on these sites and off-site in the direction of the groundwater flow to ensure that the contamination isn't moving any further.

That's about the gist of it.. Hopefully I've been able to provide a few interest points amongst the boring geeky details. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have if you need more info."



Cool stuff from cool people, Just sharing photos and ideas about what we do to impact our environment. Have a great weekend everyone.

No comments: